1/4 cup EVOO
1 lb Hot Italian Sausage
6 Garlic Cloves
1 Tbsp Sage, finely chopped
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
2 cups Half & Half
10 oz Aged Cheddar Cheese, coarsely grated
3 oz Parmesan Cheese, coarsely grated
1 lb Rigatoni (or ridged, medium sized shells)
1 bunch Mustard Greens
- Preheat oven to 325F & place rack in middle.
- Set cast iron skillet to medium-high on the stove.
- Pour in EVOO and add sausage, breaking up into small chunks. Cook undisturbed until browned on bottom. Stir and cook undisturbed until cooked through & crispy at the edges.
- Add garlic, sage, and red pepper flakes to sausage and cook until garlic is golden. Mix in half & half and simmer until thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stirring constantly, gradually add two thirds of all the cheese a little at a time, letting it melt before adding more. Cook, stirring until sauce is smooth and thick. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling, salted water until VERY al dente (at least 2-3 minutes under the recommended cooking time) and add the mustard greens during the last minute or two. Strain in a colander and return to the pot.
- Add sausage mixture to pasta and toss to coat. Return to pan. Cover with foil and bake on middle rack until pasta is al dente and sauce is bubbling, 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven and heat broiler.
- Top pasta with remaining cheese and broil on upper rack until cheese is browned and bubbly.