3/4 cup panko (or fresh coarse breadcrumbs)
6 Tbsp EVOO
1.5 cups Heavy Cream
6 Garlic Cloves, smashed
1/4 tsp Nutmeg, freshly grated
3 Large Bunches of Bitter Greens (mustard greens or collard greens preferred), thick ribs & stems removed, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup Creme Fraiche
- Toss breadcrumbs with 3 Tbsp EVOO in a large skillet and season with salt & pepper. Set over Medium-High heat and toast, tossing often, until golden brown and crisp (~4 min). Set aside.
- Over Medium heat in a medium saucepan, bring cream to a simmer. Add garlic and nutmeg. Season with salt & pepper. Simmer until reduced by half (15-20 min).
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 3 Tbsp EVOO in large Dutch oven over Medium heat. Add large handful of greens and season with salt & pepper. Cook until slightly wilted and there’s room to add more greens. Add another handful of greens and repeat until all greens have been added. Continue to cook, stirring often, until greens are bright green and very tender and most of the liquid released has evaporated (10-22 min).
- Add cream mixture and creme fraiche to greens, mix to coat evenly. Cook just until heated through (~2 min).
- Transfer greens to a bowl and top with breadcrumbs.
*Greens & breadcrumbs can be made ahead. Store separately.